Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Toronto. I am in you.

Title stolen from Wil Wheaton who says that on twitter whenever he's traveling to new cities. But it's true, I am in Toronto. :) I arrived yesterday afternoon and I haven't really stopped smiling since.

I'm temporarily staying in a small flat that I found on airBNB.com. I'm starting looking for a place with a vengeance but I'm not expecting it to be easy. 

Today I just walked around down Queen St., up University Ave and then down Dundas, kind of in a circle.


Here's what I was wearing.

Dress: Smoking Lily (last worn here)
Tights: ? (they are way to long so I'm throwing them away)
Shoes: Fluevog Presence | Impel (last worn here)

I wore the BIG SKULL cardigan as well.

I brought a lot of Smoking Lily clothes because they are completely washable and don't really wrinkle. You'll be seeing these pieces a lot until I get a permanent place and have my stuff delivered from Halifax.

So here's some of the things I saw today.




First thing I went to breakfast. I had The Standard, not the Disco Breakfast. I'm not sure what makes it Disco - maybe I should ask.


Walking down Queen Street I saw this sign at a Poutinerie. OM NOM NOM indeed.


I saw this adorable display in the window of The Knit Cafe. It's a knit cat playing with pompoms. Adorable! I didn't bring any knitting so maybe I should go there and get some yarn for a small project.



I went to the new Gravity Pope store and saw this special edition colour of the Fluevog Queen Transcendent | Nefertiti. I like this colour much better than the black or pink at the Fluevog store. Might have to go back....


Guess where I went next? Yup, less than 24 hours in the city and I was at Fluevog.


Terrible photo but I left with the Swordfish Postmodern Slushy (I keep calling them "Squishy"). I've been lusting over them for a few months now so it was fate.

I'm usually a 7 1/2 in Fluevogs but in these I got the 6! They fit very big. There's your tip of the day. Size down!

After going to Fluevog I walked to where I'll be working and then walked to where I'm living. It's about a 30 minute walk. Not too bad.


Walking back to my apartment, I walked past the Art Gallery of Ontario. This was on the window. I'll take it as a sign. :)

After getting back to my place I went out to a Vietnamese restaurant recommended to me. Had a yummy vermicelli bowl.

I'll have to find a grocery store soon or I'll be broke.




When walking back from the restaurant I saw this sign outside a salon. I really love grumpy cat too!

Better run. I'm going to grab a bite to eat and then I'm having a drink with someone I used to work with in Halifax who moved here about 18 months ago. I'm a social butterfly!


12 comments:

  1. You sound really good, Megan. Lively and positive and excited and happy. Good for you.
    Knitty kitty and the pom poms are cute, so is Grumpy Cat, and please can you try the disco breakfast, maybe it comes with extra Beegees and a sequin boob tube. You never know your luck.
    I knew it wouldn't take you long to go to the Fluevog shop, a pilgrimage on your first day seems appropriate! Very cool shoes, very cool indeed.
    Good luck with finding somewhere to live, and with settling into your new city. I think you'll fit right in. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried on the PMS (lol, what a coincidence that the Post-Modern Slushie abbreviates so well), and lusted after them, walking around the Gastown store. If I could have had a 3rd pair, they would have been it - but they're really not my style, and I couldn't think of how I would wear them, even though I loved them. I found the sizing also quite erratic - I was an 8.5 in them, and I'm usually a 9-9.5. Always try on Fluevogs!

    Love seeing the sights of your new 'hood, Megan! I hope you will be really happy there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray for making the first steps of the move. Congrats! I'm glad it's going well so far. Drooling over the "PMS" - I bet I couldn't even find a pair that fit my actually-size-6 feet. A bit shame, because those are ungodly gorgeous. I shouldn't complain though, I've bought four pairs of shoes in the past week.

    I would be interested in knowing what disco eggs are too. It sounds tasty. A pizza place I used to love had a "disco sauce" which was a clear spicy sweet chili sauce with different colored chilis. I bet that would have made some disco eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous dress! Toronto sounds like such fun, and it sounds like you're loving it already. I don't know what peameal bacon is, but it must be the Havarti that makes the disco breakfast disco.

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO happy for you and your new beginning, Megan! Looks like you and Toronto are going to be soul mates. And congrats on taking such a leap! We are lucky if we have a chance to really shake things up in our lives, as you are; it isn't always an option for us... Takes courage, but when its OUR choice, it can pay off BIG TIME! Go for it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woohoo, you arrived safe - and on your first full day, bought shoes! I wondered how long it would take before you visited Fluevog. Man, I would have RUN there, after seeing your and Sheila's footwear.

    I hope you find a place quickly. It's quite a pain looking around, but I have always enjoyed the estate agent's daft summaries /sales pitches funny...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy start :)

    Neighborhood looks lovely, you sound happy, and new shoes. Wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  8. great that you're managing your new neighborhood, and I can understand that Fluevogs temptation is really huge!!, pretty new shoes!
    besos & luck

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome to Toronto!! Hopefully we can meet for a bi of shopping someday soon. There is a store in The Junction (Dundas and Keele) that I think you will love.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooooh! Congrats to you, what a huge step. proper to welcome it with new shoes.
    Do you know Duchesse at Passage des Perles? She's relatively new to Toronto as well, and might be a great contact.
    Best wishes to you. If i moved to a Fluevog city there would be hell to pay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was not aware of that blog but I will check her out!

      Delete
  11. Welcome to the Big Smoke! Nice to see you've already hit the Fluevog store AND purchased a pair of shoes. You do sound much happier than you were, so I think this is going to be a very good change in your life. When you get settled, we should meet for a coffee or a meal the next time I'm in Toronto.

    ReplyDelete