Thursday, March 13, 2014

Turning a corner...I hope

Almost a year ago, on March 26, on the basis of a contract job, I boarded a plane and left my life of 15 years in Halifax and moved to Toronto with 2 suitcases and no where to live. My contract was until December but it was extended until May and then my Manager who brought me here moved to another position leaving me with doubt about my future employment.

Yesterday I was offered a permanent job with the Ontario Public Service.

I feel like this is a turning point. This past year has been very hard. Though it was my idea to end my marriage it still was a difficult decision. No one gets married anticipating that it will end so though I was glad to no longer be in an unhappy relationship, I don't think I could say that I was truly "happy". At best I could say I was "getting to happy".  Add on me voluntarily leaving my cats behind (granted with the hope that my ex would let me retrieve them), it's been a challenging year.

Now, with less uncertainty in my employment situation, I feel like I've turned a corner. Not only is this job security (as much as that means) it's also benefits (drugs and dental) so it's a financial win/win. And with spring around the corner, maybe 2014 will be a special year.

Here's some outfits from Wednesday and today.


Cardigan: Target
Dress: Emily Ryan (last worn here)
Shoes: Fluevog Half Truths | Tanya (last worn here)


The back isn't too exciting but what is exciting is...






 My new Mason bag! Oh Fluevog, I can't even stop into your Queen Street store to say HI to Heather and Brian without leaving with something.

(On a side note, my hair is awful. I can't find a good salon in Toronto which I find very strange.)



























Here's what I wore today.

Dress: eShakti (last worn here)
Shoes: Fluevog Kitchy Kitchy Boom Boom | Liz (last worn here)

My coworker said "Nice shoes! You're on a roll!"

I'm taking that as a complement. And it's possibly what won me this job.




16 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the permanent job offer! I hope 2014 turns out to be a good year for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super congrats! A perm job is a breath of relief! It must be your fabulous sense of style! I got perm in Dec with the Sask government and promptly went to the dentist, the opto and the masseuse!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on the permanent job. Financial instability is so maddening, so I am hopefull that you have turned the corner -- and jumped ahead in the getting to happpy line.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woo! That's awesome news about the job, Megan - that can be hugely stressful. I hope maybe your kitties will with you soon?

    You do have fabulous shoes. I once recommended someone for hiring because she was wearing Fluevogs. Neither of us work at the same place anymore, but we're still friends!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is nice to read your blog again, to see your outfits and your beautiful Fluevogs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really good news about the permanent job; yes, I hope this is a special year coming up.
    Love the flowers on that second dress. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a difficult and brave decision to leave relationship which don't work for you. And yes, it is always difficult, even when it's your own decision. I am happy for you and can imagine that you feel a relief at this your turning point. I wish you to find your happiness soon!
    Always enjoy your unique style. The orange shoes and the embroidered dress are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whew. Now you can really breathe. I'm happy for you.
    Yup, sounds like an upswing for sure. You're already dressed for it. I love both outfits.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is lovely! I think you would look great in some of our vintage dresses :)
    Becky x
    Vintage Clothing UK

    ReplyDelete
  10. I worked at temp and contract jobs here at the university until I finally found a "permanent" job, so I know the relief it brings to finally be able to feel some stability. I hope that 2014 finds you closer to "happy". I'm surprised you can't find a good hair place in Toronto, but there are so many, it's hard to know where to go. I think you would like the woman that has been doing mine the last few months here in London - she does amazing colour!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like things are looking up - congratulations! Big changes never come easily.

    Love that eShakti dress and the orange 'Vogs (and their name)!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great to hear. Enjoy your good fortune.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on the perma job! Big life changes are always hard, but nothing worth having is really easy. Wishing you the best! And yes, love the dresses, especially the detailing on the second one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. lovely dresses & shoes combo, you always wear so beautiful shoes and tights!, lovely!
    and glad you get some security at job and feel better about your situation, it usually takes time to let relationships go and adapt to a new situation (it's a cliché but also true!)
    wish you luck looking for a hairdresser!!
    besos & shoes

    ReplyDelete
  15. Coupe Bizzarre on Queen West...it was my most favourite salon ever!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your "drugs and dental" comment made me laugh. I have health insurance again next month, so I guess that's the "drugs" part :) The dental is rather insanely exhorbitant. Congrats on the permanent job offer!

    ReplyDelete